Subject: Re: Can objects be unloaded to save memory when rendering?
From: Marcel Valcarce <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 11:01:28 -0700 (PDT)

A good way to speed up rendering is to set up a couple (or more) 
copies of the same 
scene with any uneeded objects/images removed. For instance if you have a 
scene with an object that appears in frames 1-25 and is then off camera 
create a copy of the scene but remove that object (and any image maps 
associated). Use the first scene to render frames 1-25, and the second 
scene to render the rest. Using some type of batch rendering script (I 
believe someone on the list has written one, and maybe they can upload it 
somewhere) you can remove the tediuousness of loading the second scene. 
You can extrapolate this out if you had a very complex scene you might 
break it up into several parts. 

Another method of speeding rendering I have used is to render the 
background portions of an animation that dont move. Then use this frame 
as a backdrop for the animated parts. Of course if you want 
reflections/shadows on the background it's more complicated. 

Marcel Valcarce

                                "Treat each new day as a discovery" -MEV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~